Darwin's is a family and privately run House which was recently Purchased as the Sandford House Hotel in January 2016 when a 3 month project to sympathetically and lovingly refurbish this building began.
Darwin’s Town House is a Grade II* listed historic Georgian town house, situated in the town centre and steps to the River Severn path leading to the beautiful ‘Quarry’ with its riverside walks and black and white Tudor Buildings.
Dating from around 1760 the house has retained its 18th century classic plasterwork throughout. Joseph Bromfield (1744-1824) was a notable plasterer and architect working in the West Midlands, Central and North Wales during the late Georgian Period. He was also Mayor of Shrewsbury in 1809. Bromfield created some beautiful work which can be found in the Lounge where the plaster work exhibits the signs of the Zodiac also in the snug where plaster wall panelling incorporating mirrors surrounded by high relief swags and a First floor Bedroom where a plaster panelled ceiling can be found. Other pieces of Bromfield’s work can also be seen in St Chads, St Alkmunds, Powys Castle and Oakley Park.
The Town House also retains its original stone Stair case and original fireplaces in three rooms.
The Modern Garden Lodge was added in 2003 and was specially designed with ground floor bedrooms as well as ground floor disabled room.